If you’re a golfer who loves to travel, that’s great! But what’s not so great is running the risk of damaging your expensive golf clubs. Because, whatever the case, baggage handlers at the airport don’t care about your luggage as much as you’d want them to. So if you want your precious clubs to reach the destination in a single piece, then turn to these best golf travel bags.
You don’t have to do much in order to protect your sticks from the risks involved during transit. Also, scrapping the whole idea of traveling with golf clubs does indeed sound tempting. Because golf courses around the world do indeed have rentals. But if you’re an avid golfer, then you know how important it is to feel the control, playability, etc. of your own clubs.
On that note, travel with your golf clubs and keep them safe, secure, and out of harm’s way!
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Golf Travel Bags
- 1. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian
- 2. AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag
- 3. CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 Travel Cover
- 4. Golf Travel Bags Caravan 3.0 Wheeled Travel Covers
- 5. Club Glove Last Bag XL Tour Pro Golf Travel Bag
- 6. Founders Club Golf Travel Cover Luggage
- 7. SKB Cases ATA Deluxe Standard Hard Plastic Storage Wheeled Golf Bag
- 8. Athletico Padded Golf Travel Bag
- 9. OGIO 2018 Mutant Travel Cover
- 10. Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Cover Case
- Is A Travel Bag Necessary for Golf Clubs?
- Factors to Look for When Buying
- How Does A Golf Travel Bag Work (Tips for Packing Safely)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Golf Travel Bags
1. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian
Protection: 90 | Durability: 100 | Design: 95 | Quality: 100
Best for premium quality
- The leg mechanism is extended and retracted in one easy motion
- No more kneeling on the ground to load/unload your golf bag
- Heavy-duty, two-way zippers run the full length of the bag for easy loading
The biggest positive of this Sun Mountain bag is the generous internal space. It offers room for accommodating your longest drivers. Plus, there’s more space left for your golfing shoes and maybe even your outerwear. The padding installed in here is also incredibly generous throughout.
Another positive feedback - the retractable wheels, which make the task of maneuvering the bag at the airport much easier, that too without straining your arm.
2. AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag
Protection: 85 | Durability: 85 | Design: 85 | Quality: 85
Best value for money
- Soft-sided golf travel bag for conveniently transporting a set of golf clubs (not...
- Made of durable nylon fabric; reinforced stress points; stands up on its own when...
- Smooth-rolling, inline-skate-style wheels; heavy-duty curb rails; well-placed,...
Baggage handlers at the airport and your expensive golf clubs - not a very ideal combination. In that case, can you trust a bag like this to do away with your fears when traveling with golf clubs? We think you can, and you should. The thick padding on every side is enough to boost your confidence in the bag. Especially the padding around the part that contains all the clubheads!
Moreover, the high-quality wheels, sturdy handles, and durable zippers are just the cherry on the cake.
Another very impressive quality is how smoothly the bag rolls across the floor. The gliding action is extremely smooth, which means your airport walk is going to feel like a breeze.
3. CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 Travel Cover
Protection: 80 | Durability: 85 | Design: 85 | Quality: 85
Best lower budget option
- GOLF BAG DESIGNED FOR TRAVELING: CaddyDaddy’s Constrictor Golf Bag Cover is...
- HEAVILY PADDED: The golf travel cover bag features 1800D fabric construction (3x the...
- PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT: The bag also has riveted handles - nylon padded and rubber -...
Just because this one’s an affordable buy doesn’t make it any less superior in terms of quality. CaddyDaddy, after all, is a very trusted brand that has been manufacturing golf bags for over 15 years now. And this design contains thick foam padding with reinforced seams and heavy-duty zippers.
Even the handles of the travel bag are easy to grip and also strong. So if you want to travel with your golf clubs but not all or any of them have removable clubheads, worry not because the exceptionally thick padding around that section of the bag gets the job done.
4. Golf Travel Bags Caravan 3.0 Wheeled Travel Covers
Protection: 85 | Durability: 85 | Design: 80 | Quality: 85
Best value bag for airport travel
You should consider buying Caravan for its ultra-durable polyester construction. Although you’re also most likely to appreciate the travel bag’s padded top and deep exterior pockets. The former makes sure those clubheads don’t have to go through any rough use. As for the deep and recessed pockets, they make way for efficient storage of course.
What about the wheel system? These are in-line skate wheels that roll very easily on airport and parking lot floors. It’s actually a very amazing purchase for the money!
5. Club Glove Last Bag XL Tour Pro Golf Travel Bag
Protection: 90 | Durability: 100 | Design: 95 | Quality: 100
Best soft shell travel bag
- Large travel bag made of Cordura fabric for maximum durability
- Extra-thick foam padding with club-head security strap
- High-impact wheel base cradles and shields bottom of the bag
A nice spacious travel bag that’s built solidly to keep even your tallest golf club from breaking. There’s a lot of room in here for your expensive set as well as for your shoes and some extras. All at once being a lightweight bag too!
Cordura fabric is used for construction, which is more than enough to ensure maximum durability. Then there’s the fully-integrated, two-piece handle for extra support. But the best part is still how light the bag is despite being a full-sized golf travel bag.
6. Founders Club Golf Travel Cover Luggage
Protection: 95 | Durability: 95 | Design: 95 | Quality: 95
Best overall travel bag
- Hybrid Golf Travel Cover Combines crush proof Hard Shell ABS Top with Soft Sided all...
- Easy to transport with durable smooth rolling inline skate wheels. Makes getting...
- Fits Cart Bags up to 10” in diameter and golf clubs up to 50" in length. 2 Large...
This hard shell top travel bag not only fits all your golf clubs but also looks very stylish. But if you’re more concerned with how the bag performs as opposed to how great it looks, then you’re most likely to not be disappointed at all. No setbacks even if it’s the other way around!
The hard case, in particular, is the best part because it does an excellent job of protecting clubheads. And all this keeps the golf bag and its weight plenty manageable.
Furthermore, the wheels and handles make the bag easy and convenient to maneuver. No tears or scuffs of the sturdy material either.
7. SKB Cases ATA Deluxe Standard Hard Plastic Storage Wheeled Golf Bag
Protection: 100 | Durability: 95 | Design: 80 | Quality: 95
Best for ultimate protection
- TRAVEL CASE: Keep your golf club safe when traveling with a case that is contoured to...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Molded from ultra-high, molecular weight polyethylene and is...
- TSA LOCKING SYSTEM: Comes with TSA Locking System for ease of airline travel and...
It’s true that hard-case travel golf bags are better in terms of performance and even durability in comparison to the soft-case version.
Even though the former is heavier, golfers have no complaints. And that’s because despite accommodating 12 golf clubs, 50 golf balls, golfing shoes, and even your Sunday golf bag, the bag weighs below the 50-pound airline limit. 43 pounds, to be precise.
Furthermore, the hinge of the bag is sturdy and well-built. And the TSA lock is installed in the center buckle.
8. Athletico Padded Golf Travel Bag
Protection: 75 | Durability: 75 | Design: 80 | Quality: 75
Best for short trips
With 5-mm padding throughout, this golf travel bag by Athletico protects your precious golf clubs during transit. You can use the bag for travel or if you simply wish to add extra protection when storing your golf club set in the trunk of the car.
Constructed with durable polyester, you don’t have to worry about abrasions and scuffs. So keep those worries about your luggage taking a beating in the hands of baggage handlers aside.
As an avid golfer and traveler, you might also appreciate the padded shoulder strap. And this applies even if your height is average or below average. Troubles carrying the bag over your shoulder at the airport are practically non-existent.
9. OGIO 2018 Mutant Travel Cover
Protection: 85 | Durability: 90 | Design: 85 | Quality: 85
Best for golfers with lots to pack
Now you can fly your golf clubs to and fro without worrying about damaging them in any way. As long as you have this OGIO travel cover, your chances of exceeding the weight limit at the check-in counter at the airport are also less likely.
The main compartment is abundantly large, and the wheels are generously oversized. More importantly, the top compartment of the bag is fully padded to protect those clubheads. Then there’s the reinforced base equipped with protective rails. The best soft-case golf travel bag so far!
10. Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Cover Case
Protection: 100 | Durability: 100 | Design: 80 | Quality: 95
Best hard shell travel bag
- The lightweight and durable solid ABS Shell shields your golf bag and clubs from the...
- Features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club...
- 4 multi-directional spinner wheels and 2 in-line skate wheels allows the case to be...
If this isn’t your first travel bag as a golfer, you’re sure to regret that because Samsonite here has done a remarkable job in terms of every aspect. You’ll regret not purchasing it sooner because of how affordable it is in comparison to other golf bags for travel.
Then comes the part about how lightweight the bag is even with golf clubs in it. The side and top handles make it easier for you to unload and load your golf clubs into the vehicle. And the swiveling wheels make way for easy maneuvering at the airport.
No doubt, this Samsonite hard-sided travel cover can survive airport tarmac as well.
- Dense foam padding protects golf clubs
- Superior maneuverability because of pivoting caster wheels
- Extra-thick foam padding protects golf clubs
- High-impact wheel base protects the bottom of the bag
- 3 sets of padded handles for easy lift and carry
- Hard shell top offers extra protection
- Padded, quilted interior equipped with extra foam padding
- Durable, lightweight ABS shell golf travel bag
- Made from ultra-high, molecular weight polyethylene
- Industrial-strength latches for security
- Reinforced stress points for extra durability
- Smooth-rolling wheels and heavy-duty curb rails
- Heavy padding at the top protects clubheads
- External and internal compression straps secure golf clubs
- Thickly padded top for clubhead protection
- Extra tie-down interior strap activates extra security
- Reinforced, durable base with protective rails
- Oversized wheels and large main compartment
Is A Travel Bag Necessary for Golf Clubs?
Well, not necessarily. But you have to also keep in mind that airlines have a weight limit. And the majority of the time, this weight limit is 40 or 50 pounds.
So, at such times, fitting your golf clubs while also keeping the weight of your luggage in check is not possible. Hence, the popularity of travel bags for golf clubs that make it possible for you to carry your expensive sticks safely in a lightweight manner.
Factors to Look for When Buying
It only makes sense to buy a golf bag fit for travel if it’s heavily padded. But there should be extra padding at the top because that’s where the clubheads are placed.
We ourselves have reviewed so many designs with a thickly padded top. All that extra foam is the most useful for protecting super-expensive golf clubs that you simply cannot afford to lose.
Sometimes, more than anything, the cost of the product is the deciding factor. In that case, should you be spending $500, $100, or even $50? Well, it goes without saying that a high-end bag surely offers superior performance.
In short, the more expensive it is, the more convenient and easier your experience at the airport. And maybe even more golf club safety and protection.
3. Type of Bag - Hard Case vs. Soft Case
The first one i.e. hard shell golf travel bag keeps your golf clubs more damage-proof. And if you’re a frequent traveler, then you and your set would be better off with a hard case bag.
As for those who don’t travel much, it’s okay to buy the soft-case type of golf bag because it’s cheaper, lighter, and more flexible.
So it’s really up to you to decide if you want more protection (with hard case) or easier maneuverability (with soft case). There’s even a third option - hybrid travel bag for golf clubs. It’s actually a reinforced golf cart bag that has a hard cover, which goes over your clubheads.
4. Size and Weight
First off, measure the height of your longest golf club. Now check if that height can be accommodated in the bag. Does your golf travel bag offer enough clearance for stowing your whole club set as well as some additional gear? If yes, you have nothing to worry about.
Moving on to weight, the more lightweight the bag, the better. Because airlines have a weight limit. In that context, if you travel more frequently and/or heavier, then you might be better off with lighter soft-case golf travel bags.
The factor of durability is almost always determined by the material used for construction. In this case, the most durable fabrics involved are polyester and nylon.
Then comes the level of padding. In some bags, this is a double-layered feature for extra protection and durability.
The next on the list is the type of case, meaning hard or soft. Naturally, hard-case travel bags for golf clubs are more resistant to wear and tear. And that’s mainly because high-impact composite or plastic material is used.
There’s no point if the wheel system makes it difficult for you to roll the bag around at the airport and parking lot. Once again, hard-shell bags have the upper hand here because of the rigid case. Maneuvering them is much easier in comparison to their soft-case counterparts.
But what types of wheels are the most commonly installed? These would be in-line skate wheels. The rule of thumb is that bigger wheels with a broader base are easier in terms of mobility.
Does it have additional pockets for your golfing shoes, rain gear, etc.? Keeping that in mind, expect hard-case travel bags to not offer this kind of extra storage space.
As an avid golfer and traveler, you’re most likely to also carry stuff like heavy coats, jackets, and the like. So it’s always a better idea to have the option of additional space, which mostly comes with the soft-case version.
Unfortunately, soft-shell travel bags for golf clubs are more susceptible to wear and tear, this includes the formation of holes in the bag. At such times, what matters the most is if the manufacturer assures you with a warranty in case something goes wrong.
However, on the other hand, hard-case bags don’t have this problem.
How Does A Golf Travel Bag Work (Tips for Packing Safely)
Whatever the type of golf bag you use on the course, as long as you know how to organize it properly, you don’t worry about a thing. Likewise, whatever type of travel bag you choose, you should know how to pack the most safely. Keeping nothing but the protection of your golf clubs in mind!
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as your luggage, whatever that may be, doesn’t exceed the weight limit of the airline, there are no extra charges whatsoever.
You should know that flying with and shipping your golf clubs are both expensive. As for how much does it cost to fly with them? The numbers are between $35 and $150.
In your golf travel bag, you can indeed add clothing as long as it doesn’t exceed the weight limit. And, needless to say, clothes can only be accommodated if there is extra room left.
There are indeed a few travel bags for golf clubs designed with clothes pockets. Just keep the weight factor in mind, that’s all.
It’s all about protecting your expensive golf clubs while also not wasting money. I mean you buy a cheap-priced bag only to watch it destroy your clubs and peace of mind. And then you have no other option but to buy new golf clubs all over again. Instead, why not just get a high-quality travel bag designed with extra padding, durability, and maybe even pockets!
Just try to decide between a hard-cover and soft-cover golf travel bag. Choose the former if you want superior protection. While the latter is a more suitable choice for those who don’t travel much. Or for those who prioritize flexibility and mobility at the airport above all else.